Wednesday, March 4, 2009

First Week Home

Hayden has been in this world for exactly one week now. I delivered her at 12:52am on Thursday, the 26th of February. Unfortunately there were some minor complications during birth. Because my water broke at 8:00am on the 25th and I didn't deliver her until 17 hrs later, the risk of infection was high. Around 11pm I had a fever of 103 and Hayden's heartrate went way up. I was put on Pitocin to increase the contractions and within two hours Hayden was born. The doctor ordered blood tests on both of us to check for infection. Because of this we had to stay in the hospital until Saturday night. Hayden also had to stay in the NICU because she needed to get antibiotics. This was really hard... because I had planned on having her room in with me so I could be with her the entire time. But since she was in the NICU we couldn't take her out and only Mike and I could go in a hold her. I was able to go in every three hours to feed her which was nice. But I was so happy we were able to come home on Saturday night when all her tests came back normal.

The first night home was a little rough as we were trying to establish her sleeping and eating routine. We introduced her to Misha which I was a little bit nervous about, but it went surprisingly well. Misha just sniffed her a little bit and that was about it. I think she is now starting to realize that Hayden is here to stay. Mike and I have been taking turns getting up throughout the night to feed and change Hayden. We are a little sleep deprived right now but each night has gotten a little bit better and I think we are finally starting to establish a good schedule. I am really surprised at how much she has been eating and sleeping though. When we left the hospital on Sat. she would eat about 50 ml in one feeding, and it has only been 4 days and she now eats twice that in a feeding. What a pig!

We gave her her first sponge bath yesterday and although she cried pretty much the entire time I really think she enjoyed being clean again and not smelling like old milk... yuk! As soon as I took her out of the bath, wrapped her in a blanket and held her it wasn't long until she was back to sleep again. We have her first drs. appt tomorrow and it will be the first time we are taking her out. Hopefully all goes well and the dr. says she is doing well in every way.

Well... that is all I have for now. I am posting some pics we have taken during her first few days home.



1 comment:

lolly said...

I am SO glad you are updating your blog again!!! I'm sorry things were tough at the hospital, but YAY things are great now! You are going to be such an awesome mom, Hayden is pretty lucky. I wish I could meet her sooner, but I guess I'll have to wait until October...also, the seat on the swing is super cute!

 

The Adventures of Hayden | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates